March 7, 2010
What is it we need to do to promote a website online?
What we need as website owners is more visitors and more orders for our services (targeted traffic). Therefore we need:
1. More links on related websites so that people who need our services visit our website and
2. We need our website to appear higher in the search engine results list (and have higher Google ranking) when people search for keywords. For example, an electrical contractor would want to have keywords: “electrical work”, “electrician”, “electric”, “electrical company”, “electrical installations”, “commercial lighting”, “electrical service”, “power generation”, “industrial electrical service”, “commercial electrical service”, “home and residential service”, “power generation wind and solar”
How do we do that?
1. Have all these keywords on our website
2. Have many links on other high-ranking websites
Part 1. Keywords for your website and monitoring promotion and marketing progress.
What you can monitor – you can control. Free Google Analytics is a good tool for monitoring visitor statistics of your website.
Our job in advertising will consist of creating content (texts for the website) which is rich in keywords and posting links on various related forums, blogs, adding site to online directories, and so on.
Second thing we can monitor is the number of backlinks – links to your site on other websites. To find out how many websites link to your website (we will check this number every week):
1. type in in google search: links:yoursite.com
2. type in in yahoo search: links:yoursite.com
Part 2. Building backlinks to your site to generate targeted traffic.
Here’s how we can increase the number of backlinks, and therefore people visiting our website (traffic).
We can leave link to our site on:
1. Online company directories. This is most important because people actually search the online directories and look for electrical services in the area of Collingwood, for example. It’s a shame not to have a page on it especially that most of them are free.
2. Forums. For now just search for the forums where there are discussions about for example, electricians, contractors, etc. Best if you use the keywords you came up with for your website.
3. Blogs. Same here, just search and add all blogs to the spreadsheet. Later on we will create accounts, start discussions and add links where it is appropriate and where people actually request information about your company.
The way I do it is I create a spreadsheet, search for places to add the link to, then put a checkmark where I already submitted a link and then another checkmark where the link had been added. This way I don’t
miss a single site.
Part 3. Keyword-rich articles for website.
This is the last part of the strategy – articles for website.
Articles should be keyword-rich and can be placed either on our website or on other websites with link to our website. We can practice writing articles but for now we will be concentrating on finding good relative articles that are useful in your field of work/website field and placing them on our website (if an article lacks needed keywords we can insert them into this article). Specifically for this purpose you can create a blog, a news page, a library, or just add articles to various places on your website.
To find good articles we have to stay up to date with innovations in your field of business, and news in your local area. It’s good to know what is happening and copy useful promotion strategies from other companies.
This concludes my website advertisement guide. I think a good strategy would be choosing your advertisement schedule, for example, it could be 30 min every day or 30 min every Thursday evening and sticking to it. We can also set goals for backlinks and number of visitors, for example, every 1st day of the month we check the statistics and first month our goals is to add 5 backlinks, second month 10 backlinks, etc. Visitors we want to double within 6 month and double again within a year.
This is all, folks!
P.S. There are millions of ideas on advertisement, website promotion and marketing, so don’t stop when you have reached the goals you’ve set for yourself. Firstly, keep on promoting and setting new goals. Secondly, keep on looking for and finding new strategies. For example, you can create and publish a newsletter. Good luck!